ALL work must be submitted initially online. A selection from these entries will take place online, after which pre-selected entries will be invited into Mall Galleries, London, for final selection:
- Upload images of your work at http://mallgalleries.oess.uk/ between Monday 19 June and Friday 22 September 2017, 12 noon. (Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB; you have the option to submit multiple photographs per entry; to capture your work at its best, avoid shadows, reflections, and hotspots in your photographs and crop them carefully; in the case of 3-D entries, uploading a video of your work is another effective way of exciting interest in your submission)
- Check http://mallgalleries.oess.uk on Friday 29 September from 12 noon to see if your work has been pre-selected.
- If pre-selected, deliver your work to Mall Galleries at 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD on Saturday 28 October 2017, 10am to 5pm.
- Check the exhibition website on Thursday 2 November, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been accepted to the exhibition.
- If unaccepted, collect your work from Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD on Saturday 4 November, 10am to 5pm.
Submission opens: Monday 19 June 2017, 12 noon
Submission closes: Friday 22 September, 12 noon
Pre-selection notification: Friday 29 September, 12 noon [Log in to see if your work has been pre-selected]
Receiving Day (if pre-selected only): Saturday 28 October, 10am - 5pm
Acceptance notification: Thursday 2 November, 12 noon
Collection of unaccepted work: Saturday 4 November, 10am - 5pm
Winner announcement: Tuesday 30 January, pm
Exhibition opens: Wednesday 31 January, 10am - 5pm
Exhibition closes: Saturday 17 February, 1pm
Collection of unsold work: Thursday 22 February, 10am - 5pm
The competition is open to all artists aged 18 or over, living or practicing in the UK or Continental Europe.
Acceptable media: Artists are encouraged to submit fresh and topical paintings, drawings, prints, sculptures, maquettes, collages, and installations (which may include videos).
Submission fee: £15 per work at the time of submitting (£10 per work for artists aged 35 or under).
Work must not have been completed before 1 January 2016 and must not have been exhibited in any other art competition.
All work must be for sale. Minimum sale price: £300 (or £180 for framed prints, £120 unframed prints). The price of works must include commission of 45%+VAT (with the exception of works for which foundry fees are applicable, where the commission is 33.3%+VAT).
Maximum of six works may be submitted.
Works must be exhibition ready, which is to say well presented for public display. Paintings should be completely dry at the time of delivery.
Works should not be larger than 2.4m along the longest dimension.
Artists who are not resident in the UK but are resident in the EU are welcome to submit work. If your work is sold at the exhibition you have a responsibility to register and account for UK VAT with H.M. Revenue & Customs. Artists without a UK residence (known as 'NETPs' - non-established taxable persons) can find further details on 'NETP' status and how to register for VAT at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk, (HM Revenue & Customs Reference: Notice 700/1, Mar 2014) under the heading 'Should I be registered for VAT?' Please note: the registration process can take up to 4 weeks. Please address any questions you may have to the VAT Helpline on tel. no. 0300 200 3700 or Outside UK: +44 2920 501 261.
Artists sending work from abroad should use a picture carrier. Many artists use Picture Post as they offer a packing and delivery service for our exhibitions (we do not accept any liability for their services). Picture Post - Tel: 0044 (0)1302 711011 / Mobile: 07833 450788 / Email: email@example.com
Full-time staff of Mall Galleries / Federation of British Artists and Columbia Threadneedle Investments may not submit to the exhibition
For full terms and conditions, click here.
First Prize: £20,000 and a solo exhibition at Mall Galleries
Five Shortlisted Artists each receive £1,000
Visitors’ Choice Award: a prize of £10,000, voted on by visitors to the exhibition